The Best Blackened Cobia Recipe
Since it’s almost time for cobia season, we thought we would share with you our favorite blackened cobia recipe. We may be biased, but we consider this the best blackened cobia recipe. The fish always cooks perfectly, it’s just hot enough, and the addition of lemon and butter helps keep the fish moist. Cobia is one of our favorite fish for many reasons, from its fresh flavor to its subtle buttery undertones and how easy it is to cook. Enjoy it sauteed, grilled, fried, or blackened like in today’s recipe. If you aren’t out in the Gulf catching your own cobia, you can grab it from local Destin seafood markets like Sexton’s or Destin Ice Seafood Market.
Here’s our recipe for the best blackened cobia. Have fun and enjoy!
|4 skinless cobia fillets
||2 tbsp olive oil
||3 tsp smoked paprika
|1 tbsp powdered onion
||1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
||1 tsp salt
||1 tsp ground black pepper
|1 tsp cayenne pepper
||1 tsp dried thyme
||1 tsp dried oregano
||1 cup unsalted butter
- Combine seasonings – paprika, onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme, and oregano – in a bowl and mix. Set aside.
- Pre-heat a pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil to pan. Only add the olive oil when you’re ready so it doesn’t pop.
- Measure out 3/4 cup of butter and set aside the remaining 1/4 cup. Dip each cobia fillet into the butter, evenly coating both sides. Then, coat the fish in the blackening spice mix, gently rubbing in to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Place the fillets in the hot pan, making sure they don’t crowd or touch, then cook two minutes per side or until they look charred (don’t worry, they won’t be!). Spoon butter over each side while the fish cooks. Once it’s done, remove and squeeze lemon juice onto the finished fish.
- Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!
February 28, 2020
in Homepage Featured Articles
Tagged Best Blackened Cobia Recipe, Blackened Cobia, Coastal Cooking, Cobia Recipe, February 2020, Seafood Recipe
Comments Off on Learn to Make Blackened Cobia
Cobia Season in Destin
Who is counting down to cobia season in Destin? We know that we sure are! From late March through early May, these fish will be migrating through the Gulf waters, providing plenty of opportunities to catch, cook, and enjoy cobia.
The best part of cobia season in Destin is Harbor Docks’ 2020 Cobia World Championship. This incredibly popular event brings anglers from all over to fish in Destin’s waters for some cobia. After all, Destin is known as the “World’s Luckiest Fishing Village!” Every day from March 28th until May 3rd, stop by Harbor Docks from 4-8 PM for cobia weigh-ins. Cobia can weigh as much as 170 lbs and reach lengths as large as 79 inches. You’re sure to see some big ones!
The tournament kicks off on March 28th with a kickoff party at 6 PM at Harbor Docks, with a BBQ dinner on the dock. The final weigh-in takes place on May 3rd, ending at 8 PM. An awards dinner will be held on Monday, May 4th at 6 PM at Harbor Docks. The Harbor Docks Cobia World Champion will walk away with $7,500! Second place winners will receive $2,500 and third place winners will receive $1,500. Divisions include the Gulf Coast Yacht Group Ladies World Champion, the Donut Hole Junior World Champion, and more. 10% of all proceeds benefit Harbor Docks Charities 26th Annual Take-A-Kid Fishing Day and Destin Harvest. Visit Harbor Docks’ website to learn more about the cobia tournament, see tournament rules, and enter yourself.
If you’re coming to Destin for Spring Break, there has never been a better time to book! Explore some of our favorite Destin vacation rentals with our lodging partners Southern Vacation Rentals. Beach Resort offers one-bedroom condos with room for 4-7 guests and some wonderful resort-style amenities. Don’t forget to add some fun activities to your Spring vacation as well!
February 25, 2020
in General News, Homepage Featured Articles
Tagged Cobia Season in Destin, Cobia Tournament, February 2020, Fishing in Destin
Comments Off on It’s Almost Time for Cobia Season!
Our Favorite Restaurants in Destin
What’s for dinner tonight? Shake up your regular routine with a bite to eat at some of the best restaurants in Destin. No matter what you’re in the mood for, Destin’s numerous restaurants have something for everyone. From casual to upscale and everything in between, treat your senses to a culinary delight with some of our favorite restaurants in Destin. If you’re coming to Destin for spring break or even a quick summer getaway, you’ll certainly want to make time to sample one of these restaurants!
- The Craft Bar – this gastropub offers uniquely-crafted cocktails and some even more delicious appetizers and menu options. We’re big fans of their truffle fries, mac & cheese bites, and bison burgers. Plus, they offer a $5 happy night, Sunday brunch, and more!
- Camille’s – are you staying in Crystal Beach in Destin? Then you absolutely need to pay a visit to Camille’s, whether it’s the cafe & beach bar or the upscale restaurant. Breakfast and lunch are served at the cafe & beach bar every day from 7 AM – 5 PM, while dinner begins at 5 PM and is served until 10 PM. they also offer an extensive sushi menu – be sure to try out their signature Destin and Panhandle rolls!
- Boshamps – for local seafood and a great view, come dine at Boshamps. Boshamps has been a staple in the Destin area for over 30 years and offer a casual atmosphere with handcrafted meals with the finest ingredients. They also offer some pretty spectacular custom cocktails, with names like The Boshamps Margarita, Mojitos on the Harbor, and East Pass Punch.
- Dewey Destin’s – It wouldn’t be a visit to Destin without stopping for a meal at Dewey Destin’s. This is truly the culmination of Destin’s history since Dewey’s great-great-grandfather Leonard Destin founded the town in 1835. Stop by the original location just off of Calhoun Avenue for some of the best views of the water. Or, for a sit-down meal at their newer, traditional location, stop by Dewey Destin’s Harborside.
February 18, 2020
in Homepage Featured Articles
Tagged Boshamps, Camille's, Craft Bar, Dewey Destin's, Dining in Destin, February 2020, Restaurants in Destin
Comments Off on Dining in Destin