Be Safe at the Beach
Beach Safety this Spring
Are you coming to Destin for Spring Break? We bet you’ll be hitting the beach, so be sure to be as safe as possible. Don’t ruin it with a bad sunburn, a jellyfish sting, or a rip current! Let us help you make the most of your time at the beach with our beach safety tips. From the right SPF to the correct number of water bottles to bring (spoiler: you can never have enough), we’ve got you covered for a great Spring vacation at the beach.10
- Pay attention to the flags! If you aren’t sure what the color of each flag means, ask the lifeguard on duty. “Red” means dangerous surf, so stay out of the water! In some cases, it can also mean the beach is closed. “Yellow” warns beach-goers that the water is rough, and to swim with caution. “Green” is good to go! However, when you see “purple,” that means potentially dangerous sea life – think jellyfish and sharks – have been spotted nearby or are in the water.
- Stay hydrated!¬†It may sound like common sense, but bringing¬†a few bottles of water to the beach on a hot, sunny day will save you from dehydration.
- Watch the waves!¬†Rough waves don’t make for a good time. Be careful not to turn your back on the waves, as you can get slapped with a pretty nasty one! Additionally, watching out for rip tides and strong currents can help you avoid getting pulled under.
- Wear SPF! We’re sure your mom has told you time and time again, but she’s not wrong: wear your SPF! That tan won’t be so cool down the road when it leads to skin cancer. Slather on any sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher – don’t forget your face, too! While you’re at it, double up on your beach shade with floppy hats and large umbrellas.
- Don’t forget your shoes!¬†While it may be tempting to keep your toes buried in the sand, we can all agree that scorching-hot sand doesn’t feel so great. Always bring a pair of shoes to the beach (we recommend flip flops!) to keep your soles cool when the sand isn’t.
Have you booked your Spring (or Summer!) vacation yet? If not, Southern Vacation Rentals has a wide array of beautiful vacation homes and condos in Destin for you and your family! Contact them to find out how to make your¬†next beach retreat the perfect getaway!