Try Out This Fall Recipe in Destin
We’re back again with another great coastal recipe! Our beer-battered hushpuppies are the perfect treat to enjoy on your vacation to Destin, whether you are here with family for fall break or away for a weekend with some friends to watch the big game.
To make these beer-battered hushpuppies, you’ll need to grab a few things from your local grocery store. If you are gluten-free, you can get 1:1 gluten-free flour to substitute for the all-purpose flour. You won’t be able to tell it’s gluten-free! For the beer, you can use just about anything from a dark stout to a pale ale. For a fun fall twist, try out a pumpkin beer found at your local brewery. You’ll be glad you did!
Ready to cook? Let’s get started!
Makes 8 hushpuppies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup of your favorite beer
- Neutral oil for frying
LETâ€™S GET COOKINâ€™!
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk, then add in onion and beaten eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly pour in the beer, whisking together until your mixture has no lumps in it. Let rest for about 30 minutes to let all of the bubbles go down.
- In a sturdy pot, pour oil until it fills about 2-3 inches of the pan. Heat until 350 degrees Fahrenheit (tip: use a meat thermometer to gauge how hot the oil is).
- Measure out your hushpuppies in balls as big or as small as you would like. Working in batches, carefully lower the batter into the oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Be sure to watch carefully and rotate them so they cook all the way through.
- Using a slotted spoon orÂ spider strainer, transfer to a cooling rack or paper towel-lined baking sheet. Allow at least 15 minutes to cool before eating.
- Serve with your favorite sauce â€“ tartar sauce, chipotle mayo, honey mustard, or ranch dip all work great!
Check out some of our favorite restaurants in Destin to try out on fall break! Don’t forget to look for hushpuppies on the menu too.