Best Destin Beach Activities for Kids
Are you traveling to the beach with kids? If yes, it is always best to plan ahead and have some ideas on how to occupy their time while you relax in the sun. There are tons of beach activities out there for kids of all ages. You are sure to find one that every child your traveling group enjoys. Also, if you are a return traveler to the Destin area, it is a great idea to keep these activities stowed away for next yearâ€™s trip! That way these activities are looked forward to each time you visit the beach. We have listed some of the best Destin beach activities for kids below.
Two Girls Playing at the Ocean
- Throw the football â€“ Get the right sized football for your age group and they can throw back and forth for hours.
- Frisbee â€“ Throwing the frisbee while knee deep in the water is a great way to stay cool and active.
- Paddle Ball â€“ How many times can you hit it without it touching the sand?
- Build Sandcastles â€“ This is especially great for the little ones and to make it even more fun, have a competition of who can build the most elaborate castle.
- Inflatables â€“ For those who canâ€™t yet swim, bring an inflatable boat and fill it with saltwater so they can splash around.
- Fly a Kite â€“ Visit our friends at Kitty Hawk Kites for a fun and interactive beach activity.
We can promise that these are the best Destin beach activities for kids. If you are hoping to take a late summer/early fall vacation, time is ticking on reserving your stay! People are so excited to come to the beach this year, and lucky for us summer weather is extended into the fall along the Gulf Coast. Click here to view a variety of vacation homes and condos in Destin, FL.
Tagged Beaches in Destin, Best Beach Activities for Kids, Family Vacation to Destin
Comments Off on Fun in the Sun for Your Day at the Beach!
Outdoor Amphitheatre – Mattie Kelly Arts CenterÂ
A Broadway favorite, Jesus Christ Superstar, is the 2021 Summer Musical at the Mattie Kelly Arts Center this year. The summer musicals are always a highlight for guests as a great thing to do while visiting Destin, FL. Shows start tonight, July 21, and run through this Saturday, July 24. Showtimes are matinees at 2 p.m. and evening shows at 7:30 p.m. The amphitheatre is located in Niceville. Doors open at 6 p.m. Tickets are $25. Visit the arts center website here to order tickets. Only use the official site for tickets.
Baytowne Wharf – Wednesday Night Concert SeriesÂ
Enjoy free live entertainment with Six Piece Suits from 7-9 p.m. tonight, July 21, on the Events Plaza stage at The Village of Baytowne Wharf.Â
- July 28: Rust & GoldÂ Â
- Aug. 4: Dion Jones & The Neon TearsÂ
- Â Aug. 11: Casey KearneyÂ
- Â Aug. 18: The HooDoosÂ
- Â Aug. 25: Big Al & The HeavyweightsÂ
The Bay in Santa Rosa Beach – Wednesday Night Bonfire & Music
The beach on Choctawhatchee Bay is the location for an evening of music around a bonfire. The event starts this evening at 5 p.m. at The Bay in Santa Rosa Beach. Enjoy dinner, cold drinks and a bonfire while listening to the music of the Will Thompson Band. Next Wednesday’s feature will be the Chris Alvarado Duo.
Alys Beach – Movie NightÂ Â Â Â
Bring blankets and low back chairs to enjoy ” How to Eat Fried Worms” under the stars at 8 p.m. July 21 at the Alys Beach Central Park. All outdoor movies are free and open to the public.Â Â
- July 28: Little MermaidÂ
- Aug. 4: Secret Life of PetsÂ Â
Grand Boulevard Outdoor Theater – Shakespeare!
This may be the highlight of your summer outdoor entertainment in Destin. Join Emerald Coast Theatre Company for a free outdoor performance of A Midsummer Nightâ€™s Dream every Thursday night at 8 p.m. in Grand Boulevard. Bring your own chair or blanket for a magical night under the stars.
Tagged Destin, Destin FL, Destin Florida, Outdoor Activities in Destin, Outdoor entertainment, Theatre
Comments Off on Summer Outdoor Entertainment
Best Grilling Recipes for Your Family Vacation to the Beach
The majority of vacation condos and homes in Destin offer community or private grills. Because of this, you will have the option of staying in and grilling instead of going out for dinner. Choose a vacation rental with a fully equipped kitchen and you are set to whip up a delicious meal your family will love. There may be some meals that you automatically think of when you are planning to grill during your stay. However, we have listed some other grilling recipes for your family vacation that you may not have thought of. All of these recipes are child proof so even the pickiest eaters in your family will enjoy grill night!
If you are looking to take a trip to the beach, click here to find a variety of vacation rentals in Destin, FL. Keep in mind, summer is almost completely booked up! However, there is still room in late summer or early fall.
The recipes listed below are exactly what you might imagine when you plan for a grilled meal. Super simple, easy to cook, and practically no cleanup. You probably have already become a master at the recipes below, but maybe during vacation, think of ways to spice them up.
- Hamburgers and Hotdogs
- Steak and potatoes – Have you ever thought about grilling your potatoes instead of baking them?
- Grilled Corn on the Cob – Add Parmesean…adds the perfect flavor!
- Grilled Chicken â€“ Try adding a new spice to the chicken to change up your meal.
Branch Out While on Vacation!
Ever think you could grill a chicken quesadilla? It is delicious! Grilling most anything adds a smokey flavor that baking or pan frying canâ€™t quite accomplish. The recipes below are buildable (allowing your kids to participate in the fun) and will add variety to your meal plan. Vacation is the perfect time to try something new, and who knows you could find a new staple dinner for your family!
- Chicken, steak, and vegetable fajitas â€“ Add all of your favorite fajita ingredients to a sheet of tin foil and place on the grill.
- Skewers â€“ Chicken and vegetables skewers are perfect for kids because they can skewer their favorite veggies.
- Fruit â€“ This is great for dessert! Peaches, pineapple, and so much more. Top it with vanilla ice cream for a tasty treat.
- Tenderloin â€“ Add some cool spices such as brown sugar or sriracha.
Do you have a favorite recipe you grill when you visit the beach with your family? We hope you find inspiration in these grilling recipes for your family vacation. If you feel like going out instead of staying in, visit the Dining in Destin page on our website for a list of delicious restaurants in the area.
Tagged Family Vacation to Destin, Grilling Recipes for Your Family Vacation, Late Summer Getaway
Comments Off on Grill Out at Your Vacation Rental
Thereâ€™s nothing like a day out on the water. While deep sea fishing is our most popular water sport, our intracoastal waterway is also popular for other water activities such as paddleboarding and dolphin cruises. Thereâ€™s a never ending variety of things to do in Destin, FL:
- Kitty Hawk Kites, down on the Destin Harbor, is not just a kite store. Itâ€™s another source for board and kayak rentals. You can also rent a GoPro camera to record your fun.
- Crab Island Dolphin Tours is the perfect for those who want a boat captain to do all the navigation. Captain Wayne Burnette will captain your vessel and manage your water adventure. Crab Island Dolphin Tours also has pontoon boats and waverunners to rent. If youâ€™re looking for something extra-special, the company also provides dolphin tours, fireworks or sunset cruises in Destin, Florida.
- Destin Snorkel has something for everyone with a variety of tours on the schedule. Do you want to go shelling or see fireworks? Here are the options: two-stop snorkeling, SNUBAÂ®, shelling/dolphin, dolphin/sunset and fireworks tours.Â
- Dockside Watersports will rent you a pontoon boat or fishing boat for your day of fun. Dockside is also a terrific place to rent jet skis. If you need a guide out on the water, they have the folks who can also take you out and search for dolphins.
- Ride on Surf School is our favorite surfing school. They can teach young and old how to enjoy this wonderful sport. Your day will include the proper equipment and complete instruction on everything from how to paddle, stand, and ride the waves, plus surfing etiquette. Bonus instruction – you will even learn proper surf lingoâ€¦i.e. â€śDude, I’m totally stoked it’s 4 to 6 and offshore!â€ť
- Destin Vacation Boat Rentals can help you explore aboard a power boat, pontoon boat, or a jet-ski. Cruise over to Crab Island and have some fun in the sun or rent a fishing boat and cast your reel into the Gulf! You can spend the day riding the waves, fishing, and snorkeling! If you are staying in a Southern Vacation Rental in Destin, you can receive a FREE stand up paddleboard or kayak rental when you rent a 24â€˛ pontoon boat with Southern Perks!
Tagged Destin, Destin FL, Destin Florida, things to do in Destin FL
Comments Off on Things to Do in Destin – Water Sports Fun
Book a Fishing Charter in Destin!
There are so many exciting activities in Destin to choose from, but one of our favorites is going fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. If you have visited Destin before then you may already know that Destin is considered the Worldâ€™s Luckiest Fishing Village! There are tons of different species available for you to catch, depending on what season you visit, and it is always a guaranteed good time. We have listed a couple tips and tricks of how best to book a fishing charter in Destin for your group!
Half Day vs. Full Day
When you book a fishing charter, you will have the choice of doing a full day or half day trip. We have found that a half day is perfect for families or group of friends. However, if your party exceeds 7-8 people, you might want to consider a full day. This way, everyone has time behind a reel. Another important thing to consider is if you have younger group members, it could be a long day for them. Younger kids would probably do better with a half day trip.
What to Bring
You will be active the entire trip, so it is easy to forget to reapply sunscreen. One helpful tip is to wear a long sleeve shirt and hat. That way, less skin is exposed to the sun, and you wonâ€™t have to reapply as often. Also, make sure you bring plenty of water. Have a cooler packed full of waters for everyone in your group. It is even useful to pack a couple snacks for your trip.
Who to Book With
Destin is packed full of charters that are ready and excited to take people deep sea fishing. We have three captains that we know and trust! You will love fishing aboard their boat and hopefully come home with a heavy haul!
Book a fishing charter in Destin, FL today! Our website is home to even more vacation inspiration on area activities and things to do in Destin.
Tagged Destin Fishing Charters, Fishing Charter in Destin, Planning Your Vacation to Destin
Comments Off on Reel in Excitement with a Fishing Excursion
Check out these Frozen Drinks in Destin This Summer
Taking a summer trip to the beach with a group of friends? Lucky for you there is no shortage of exciting nightlife in Destin to check out. Whether you are in the mood to relax with a cocktail at your condo or home or want to hit the town and experience all the area has to offer, there are opportunities for both! What better option during the heat of the summer than a frozen drink in your hand? We have listed some of our favorite frozen drinks in Destin below:
Jester Mardi Gras Daiquiris
For a wide variety of daiquiris, visit Jesters on Destinâ€™s HarborWalk Village. Celebrate Mardi Gras year-round by trying their signature drink, The Jester. Not only is HarborWalk Village a great place to grab a cocktail, but it also is the perfect place to walk around and discover Destin! You will love seeing the harbor and if you time it right you could see the boats bring in their daily haul.
McGuireâ€™s Irish Pub of Destin
Another option in the heart of Destin is McGuireâ€™s Irish Pub! Fun atmosphere, delicious food, and specialty drinks. They have tons of different kinds of drink options, but when it comes to frozen beverages, try their frozen margarita.
Fudpuckerâ€™s Beachside Bar & Grill
If you are traveling with kids and are looking for a casual cocktail and entertainment. Check out Fudpuckerâ€™s Beachside Bar & Grill. They have tons of great drink options, an incredible menu, and your kids will love the exciting entertainment. Fudpuckerâ€™s is known for its games and attractions including live gators.
Destin is the perfect place for a group of friends to visit the beach. If you are planning a vacation to Destin, check out these frozen drinks in Destin for some summer fun! Also, visit our Things to Do in Destin page for more inspiration on area excitement to fill your days with fun.
Tagged Frozen Drinks in Destin, Summer Fun in Destin, Summer Vacation in Destin
Comments Off on Summer Drinks for Your Beach Trip
Do you travel I-65 through Alabama to reach your beach destination on Saturday? If so, make plans now for a long car ride or make alternative plans. Traffic will be bumper-to-bumper this Saturday as folks try to reach their vacation destination for the July 4th weekend.
On a recent Saturday, I-65 was heavily congested for over 100 miles from south of Birmingham to Greenville. Itâ€™s a common problem from spring break through the Labor Day due to most vacation rentals being Saturday-to-Saturday check-in and check-outs. A usual 5-hour trip can take about 8-hours to complete.
- Can you travel on Friday and stay at a hotel close to the beach? This may not be feasible for everyone, but travelers say they will stay one to two hours out from the beach, then travel in as early as possible on Saturday morning. You can then go buy your beach rafts, enjoy lunch at a favorite restaurant, and pick up your beach groceries. Another suggestion is to pre-pack a picnic and be beach ready, and, then, head to Henderson State Park until your vacation rental is available. A vacationer reports, on a recent visit, Southern Vacation Rentals texted that their unit was clean & available for move-in at 2:00 p.m., instead of the usual 4:00 p.m. Bonus! That’s the way to get a vacation in Destin, FL off to a great start.
- Are you traveling over the Mid-Bay Bridge? The bridge will be backed up with travelers paying their tolls throughout the high season. A sunpass will help – once you get near the front of the line. The far left lane is for sunpass holders only so no stopping. Purchase your sunpass here.
Tagged Destin, Destin FL, Destin Florida, Sunpass
Comments Off on How to Beat the Beach Traffic…
Family-Friendly Vacation Condo in Destin, FL
Itching to get out of the house and go on a family vacation? It may be too late to book a condo in the peak of the summer, but lucky for you the summer months extend into fall along the Gulf Coast. The weather doesnâ€™t truly start to cool down until around the end of September. So that allows you time to book a late summer vacation to the beach. There are so many options when it comes to where to stay along the beach. For your stay, check out Alerio, a family-friendly vacation condo in Destin.
Alerio is a beachfront complex in Destin that offers everything you will need for a successful vacation. The condos can accommodate 6-10 guests making them perfect for families in need of a getaway. Spacious accommodations arenâ€™t the only thing that makes these vacation condos special. You will find other amenities including a community pool, outside picnic area, and community BBQ grills. You can spend your day soaking up the sun on the beach and finish the day by grilling a delicious meal. Each condo also comes with a fully equipped kitchen, allowing you to whip up your favorite snacks for the beach.
You may find yourself never needing to leave Alerio due to all of the amenities it offers. However, if you are feeling adventurous, the complex is in the perfect location on Scenic Highway 98. Visit the Destin Commons for dinner and shopping, or head the other direction and check out Grand Boulevard for a movie night. The heart of Destin is only a short drive away. Head on over to HarborWalk Village and discover delicious dining and exciting nightlife. Be sure to visit our things to do in Destin page for more vacation inspiration.
You will love this family-friendly vacation condo in Destin. Click here to book your stay at Alerio today!
Tagged Alerio in Destin, family friendly destin, Family Friendly Vacation Condo in Destin
Comments Off on Late Summer Vacation to Destin!
Comments Off on Destin Food Truck Rally Set for Sunday
Water Activities in Destin for Summer Fun
What better way to enjoy your vacation than by getting out on the water during your stay? There are so many different ways to enjoy the famous emerald, green water. Your kids would love to snorkel for shells or take a dolphin cruise through the Bay. If you are hoping to never leave the beach during your vacation, rent paddleboards and explore the Gulf Coast. There are so many options when it comes to water activities in Destin to add some summer fun to your getaway. View the list below and also check out our Things to Do in Destin page for more water adventure inspiration.
The options are endless when it comes to water activities in Destin! As an added bonus, these options are available to you no matter where you are staying in Destin. Whether that may be a beachfront vacation condo or a home in a popular neighborhood, any Destin vacation rental is just a short drive away from area excitement.
Tagged Summer Vacation in Destin, Vacation in Destin, Water Activities in Destin
Comments Off on Get out on the Water this Summer!