Three Destin Vacation Homes for Summer
Late summer is in full swing, but did you know there is still plenty of time to take a beach vacation? If you are searching for a Destin, Florida vacation home that the whole family will love, our lodging partners Southern Vacation Rentals have the answer! Big, beautiful beach homes with high-end furnishings and all the comforts of home are just what you need to bring the beach vacation of your life to dreams. School starts back in just a couple of weeks, so don’t wait to get to the beach! See our top three Destin vacation homes for summer below, and click the links to learn more about each home.
Sleeps:¬†8¬†|¬†Bedrooms: 3 |¬†Bathrooms: 2 Full
Tucked back in the gated Destiny West community, A Destiny Retreat is the perfect place to go when you need, well, a retreat! Luxuriously spacious and featuring high-end furnishings, this is sure to be one of your favorite vacation spots year after year! Plus, Destiny West guests enjoy private beach access and community amenities including a clubhouse with tennis courts, fitness facility, pool, and hot tub.
Sleeps:¬†12¬†|¬†Bedrooms: 4 |¬†Bathrooms: 3 Full
This Destin, Florida vacation home will truly have you counting your blessings! At Beach Blessings, it’s no surprise that this home was tailor-made for your beach vacation. Located in the Avalon Beach Estates neighborhood in Miramar Beach, you’ll love private beach access and community amenities. This beautiful home also features a spacious outdoor entertaining area, complete with a grill and fire pit!
Sleeps:¬†10¬†|¬†Bedrooms: 4 |¬†Bathrooms: 4 Full
Also located in Miramar Beach, this time in the Leisure Bay neighborhood, Sea-Esta will have you dreaming of the beach in no time! Beach access is less than a¬† mile away, at the end of Ellis Road and Scenic Gulf Drive, so you don’t have to go far for fun. Or, simply splash about in the neighborhood’s community pool for a day of fun under the sun!
Tagged August 2019, Destin FL Vacation Homes, Florida, Late Summer Vacation, Vacation Homes in Destin
Comments Off on Three Destin Vacation Homes for Summer
You have two more chances this summer to experience one of our favorite events at the Destin Harbor – the evening flyover of vintage planes.
It’s all apart of¬†Throwback Thursdays at HarborWalk Village. The flyover will happen two more nights – August 8 & August 15.
The best places to view the flyover are from some of our favorite restaurants in Destin, FL along the harbor such as AJ’s, Harbor Docks, Brotulas, and Jackacudas. Plan to go a little early so you can grab an outside table along the docks.
The fun continues at HarborWalk Village with a 7 p.m. concert featuring favorite tribute bands. The two remaining concerts are the Modern Eldorados (tomorrow, August 8) and¬†All That and a Bag of Chips (August 15). The evening caps off with fireworks over the harbor beginning at 9 p.m.
Tagged Activities in Destin FL, Activities on the Destin Harbor, Destin, Destin events, Destin FL, Destin Florida, Destin happenings, Destin Harbor, Destin restaurant, Events in Destin, things to do in Destin FL
Comments Off on Vintage Airshow & Fireworks in Destin
Help Make the Beach Safe for Sea Turtles!
With sea turtle season in Destin, Florida in full swing, we wanted to take some time to educate our readers on the importance of keeping the beaches safe for sea turtles. Whether you’re a local or here on vacation in Destin, Florida, there are multiple ways to do your part to keep the beaches a safe place for sea turtles.
The season lasts until about October 31st, but until then, female sea turtles will be making their way to our shores to lay their nests. They dig big holes and lay about 100 golf-ball-sized eggs in the holes, then cover them with sand to hide them from predators. From using red light outdoors in the evening to smoothing out the beach before you leave for the day, it’s easier than you think to keep the beaches safe for nesting sea turtles.
- When walking the beach at night, be cautious of the bright light shining from your flashlight! This can confuse hatchlings who are following the moonlight to get to the water and may send them into an unsafe location. Cover your flashlight with red tape to allow the sea turtles to make their way safely to the water.
- Flashlights aren’t the only source of light that confuse sea turtles! Once the sun sets, turn off any outdoor lights that could steer the turtles in the wrong direction. For baby sea turtles, or even mothers looking to lay their nests, they could make their way to your beachfront home in Destin, Florida instead of safely to the sand! Opaque curtains over windows will also help eliminate any unnecessary bright light.
- You’ve heard the phrase “leave only footprints” when talking about cleaning up the beach, but it applies to sea turtle safety, too! No kid wants to knock down their sandcastle after creating a masterpiece, but leaving obstacles like sandcastles, tents, canopies, and other toys on the beach in the evenings keeps sea turtles from being able to safely make it to the water or their nests. Fill in those holes, too! If you’re digging in the sand and come across a sea turtle nest, don’t disturb it! Cover the sand back up and move on to a new part of the beach. The last thing anyone wants is to find a sea turtle who mistakenly fell in a hole instead of their nest.
Looking to get involved? South Walton Turtle Watch¬†is a great resource for getting involved with sea turtle conservation across Destin. You can donate or become a volunteer to help protect sea turtles all across Northwest Florida during nesting and hatching season. When you vacation in Destin, Florida, it’s important to do your part to keep sea turtles returning year after year.
Tagged August 2019, Sea Turtle Conservation, Sea Turtle Season, Sea Turtle Season in Destin, South Walton Turtle Watch
Comments Off on Sea Turtle Season in Destin, Florida
The Perfect Way to Spend a Saturday!
Looking for something fun to do in Destin on a weekend? Whether you’re a local or visiting, you’re sure to be impressed by the multitude of fun things to do here. One of our favorite ways to spend a Saturday morning is at the Grand Boulevard Farmer’s Market in Destin. Part of the 30A Farmers Market, there are four convenient locations in Rosemary Beach, Miramar Beach, Santa Rosa Beach, and Niceville. This is a great way to shop local and support vendors from the area! Grab your basket and your walking shoes; there is a lot to see and plenty to do here! Time will fly by before you know it.
The Farmers Market takes place every Saturday from 9 AM – 1 PM at Grand Boulevard, rain or shine! The Grand Boulevard Farmer’s Market is always open to the public with no admission fee, so come on down! It’s perfect for early birds who want to get out and beat the crowd, or something to experience as you’re shopping at Grand Boulevard. Farmers markets are generally known for their abundance of fresh produce, but the Grand Boulevard Farmers Market is so much more. You can also pick up cream, grass-fed beef, natural free-range chicken, cheeses, homemade sauces and marinades, desserts, and cold-pressed organic juices. These are just a few of the things you’ll find at the Grand Boulevard Farmers Market!
Now is the best time to go ahead and plan your summer vacation to Destin, Florida as well! Our lodging partners at Southern Vacation Rentals have the availability you’re looking for, with new minimum nights for flexible stays. Get away for a few nights or a full week; the choice is up to you! Jade East Towers 1630 is one of our favorite Destin, Florida vacation condos for the summer. Sleeping six guests with two bedrooms and two bathrooms and overlooking Destin’s beautiful waters, this is the place to be this summer!
Visit the Grand Boulevard Farmers Market Facebook page¬†to keep up with all the happenings! If you’re interested in becoming a vendor, contact Diane Kolopanas at¬†850.499.4697
Tagged August 2019, Grand Boulevard Farmer's Market, Things to do in Destin, Weekend Events in Destin
Comments Off on Grand Boulevard Farmers Market in Destin
The calendar may say July 31, but there‚Äôs still plenty of time to celebrate summer!
Vacation rentals in Destin, Florida are still available leading up to and including Labor Day weekend and week.
It‚Äôs also a great time to lock-in a rate for the beautiful months of October, November, and December. With beautiful weather and smaller crowds, the Destin Fl area has become a popular fall/winter destination.¬†
Vacation planners with our lodging partner, Southern Vacation Rentals, can help you with discounted properties when you book directly. In addition,¬†all active duty and retired military will save on your next stay with Southern. There is a three-night minimum. Call or book online for your next getaway!
Tagged Destin, Destin FL, Destin Florida, Southern Vacation Rentals, Vacation in Destin
Comments Off on There’s Still Time to Schedule Destin Fun
Best Fried Green Tomatoes in Destin
Fried Green Tomatoes & Bacon Jam at The Craft Bar in Destin, FL
Down in the South, we love our fried green tomatoes. Some places make it with the traditional cornmeal, others use panko breadcrumbs – there really is no wrong way to make them, as it’s usually all about your own taste preferences. If you’re looking for the best fried green tomatoes in Destin, then you’re in luck, as there are many great, local restaurants where you can try this classic Southern dish. Read on below to find out where you can find some of the best fried green tomatoes in Destin!
- The Craft Bar – At The Craft Bar’s Destin location, you’ll be remiss not to order the Fried Green Tomatoes with Bacon Jam. That’s right – bacon jam! The fried green tomatoes are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and the bacon jam is the perfect sweet and savory combination. In fact, it was such a big hit that our friends at Southern Vacation Rentals just had to recreate the bacon jam for themselves. Learn how they did it here.
- LuLu’s in Destin – Don’t take our word for it; LuLu’s fried green tomatoes are a “local’s favorite!” You can even get the fried green tomatoes in their Summer Shrimp Salad or as a topping on LuLu’s Specialty: The “Pa-Menna” Cheeseburger.
- Boshamps – Known for their Southern-style seafood and incredible waterfront view overlooking the Harbor, Boshamps is not one to miss out on if you’re visiting Destin. As an appetizer, you cannot go wrong with the Fried Green Tomato & Jumbo Lump Crab. Finished with lemon butter, a¬†b√©arnaise, and honey roast nuts, this is an elegant twist on one of the South’s favorite dishes.
Where is your favorite place to get fried green tomatoes in Destin? Let us know on our Facebook page!
Tagged Best Fried Green Tomatoes in Destin, Fried Green Tomatoes, Fried Green Tomatoes Near Me, Local Restaurants, Restaurants in Destin
Comments Off on Best Fried Green Tomatoes in Destin
It’s Time to Start Planning Holiday Parties!
Sure, we’ve all got summer on the brain, but did you know that now is the time to start planning holiday parties? Space will fill up fast, so you’ll want to make sure you secure the perfect spot to host your soiree. Whether it’s with friends or family, the options for a holiday party are endless! Plus, if you start planning now, you can throw yourself a Christmas in July celebration. Who wouldn’t want that?
One of our favorite event venues in Destin, Florida is the Destin Bay House.¬†If you’re familiar at all with the Bay House, you’ll know that it’s one of Destin’s most beautiful waterfront venues, overlooking the Choctawhatchee Bay and providing guests with a one-of-a-kind experience. They have the indoor and outdoor space to accommodate parties of any size, with a fantastic Bayfront lawn and beautiful screened-in porch as well. Since the weather is still mild here in November and December, you would be completely comfortable celebrating the holidays with everyone outdoors.
Of course, when you host your party at the Destin Bay House, you’ll need somewhere for everyone to stay as well. Make your celebration a vacation too at the Cottages by the Bay. You’ll find the Cottages right across the street from the Destin Bay House, so all you need to do is take a few steps before you’re there. These Old Florida-style cottages bring a unique charm to your vacation that you won’t find elsewhere. With seven Cottages total and room for 44 guests, this is the premier place to host your in-town family and friends. The Cottages have a historic feel with a modern twist that you are sure to fall in love with. Plus, the Cottages are within walking distance of many fun things to do in Destin, so you and your group will be entertained all vacation long.
Contact our lodging partners at Southern Vacation Rentals to learn more about reserving Cottages by the Bay for your holiday parties!
Tagged Cottages by the Bay, Destin Bay House, Event Venue in Destin, Holiday Parties, July 2019, Planning Holiday Parties, Waterfront Event Venue in Destin
Comments Off on It’s Time to Start Planning Holiday Parties!
Late Summer Events in Destin
Do you find yourself wondering what to do in Destin while the summer is still here?¬†Whether you’re a local or on vacation, there are still plenty of fun, late summer events in Destin that everyone will enjoy. Plus, most of these activities are family-friendly, so you won’t have to leave the little ones behind. The summer of fun is still here! Read on below for some of our favorite late summer events in Destin. Don’t forget that you can still secure your spot on the sand this summer with our lodging partners Southern Vacation Rentals as well, as they regularly add new vacation rentals in Destin to their inventory.
- Our neighbors in Pensacola Beach are well-known for their Tuesday night Bands on the Beach series, but did you know we have something similar in Destin as well? Every Wednesday you can catch live music at the Village of Baytowne Wharf with their Wednesday Night Concert Series from 7-9 PM. Just bring your lawn chair, blanket, and sit back as you enjoy some tunes! Don’t forget to grab a snack or cool beverage from some of the local merchants at Baytowne Wharf before the show!
- The Emerald Coast Poker Run is coming up this August 7th-10th, with stops in Shalimar, Fort Walton Beach, Navarre Beach, Pensacola Beach, and of course, Destin! This is one of the largest and most popular charity poker runs in the country, with all proceeds from Emerald Coast Boat week going to the recipient charities of the Emerald Coast Foundation, which has raised over $2.5 million for local kids in need throughout the years.
- In addition, HarborWalk Village’s Labor Day celebration rounds out summer, and if you have never been to one of HarborWalk’s fireworks shows over the Harbor then you won’t want to miss this one! Held on both August 31st and September 1st from 6:30-9:30 PM, the event sends off summer in style with live music, family-friendly entertainment, and fireworks over the Destin Harbor at the end of the evening.
Of course, there is still time to book your vacation rental in Destin, Florida before the summer is over! Treat yourself (and the whole family) to a stay at Aqua Easy, a three-bedroom home in Destin Pointe with just enough room for eight. Nearby beach access, community amenities, and recently updated furnishings make this home one of our favorites!
Tagged August Events in Destin, Destin events, July 2019, July Events in Destin, Late Summer Events
Comments Off on Late Summer Events in Destin
Vacation Homes for the Whole Family
It’s summer, and what better time to get together with the whole family than now? The kids are out of school, you’ve got vacation days, and everyone needs a little break from the daily routine. Whether you want to get away with just the immediate family or bring everyone into the mix, our lodging partners Southern Vacation Rentals have plenty of vacation homes for the whole family that everyone is sure to love. Check out three of our favorite vacation homes for the whole family below!¬†
Sleeps:¬†12 |¬†Bedrooms: 4 |¬†Bathrooms: 3 Full
Located in the exclusive Destin Pointe community, Aqua Sound is truly a beautiful vacation home in Destin that you won’t want to miss out on. This home sits right on the water, so you can step out of your balcony and look out over the waves. When you want to head down to the beach, you only need to take a few steps! There is nothing like the ability to prepare family-style meals on vacation, and you can certainly do it all with the full kitchen. You’ll also have access to Destin Pointe amenities as well as four bikes at the home with which you can cruise around nearby Holiday Isle and Downtown Destin. What’s not to love?
Sleeps: 12 | Bedrooms: 3 | Bathrooms: 3 Full, 1 Half
Then, there is Frangista Retreat, found in Destin’s luxe Frangista Beach community. You’ll find this home nestled among the trees, giving you an additional sense of privacy on your beach vacation. Make the most of your home away from home, with everything you need right at your fingertips. From a full kitchen to en-suite bathrooms in each bedroom, this home truly has it all. In addition,¬†vacationers at Frangista Retreat have access to community amenities as well, including a pool and private beach.
Sleeps: 8 | Bedrooms: 4 | Bathrooms: 3 Full
There’s a reason we keep coming back to Griffin’s Getaway, and the reason is that we truly love this home. Situated back in Destin’s gated Caribe neighborhood, Griffin’s Getaway is one-of-a-kind. Three of the bedrooms and two bathrooms are located in the main house, with one bedroom and one bathroom in the adjacent carriage house. Community amenities make your stay here even sweeter, with two pools, lighted tennis courts, and beach access at the end of Rue Martine. Did we mention beach service is complimentary in-season as well?
Tagged Destin Activities, July 2019, Things to do in Destin, Weekend in Destin, What to do This Weekend in Destin
Comments Off on Vacation Homes for the Whole Family
Begin each beach trip by checking the flag color for the day. The local flag warning system is universal across all of our beaches. You can also check out the Destin Beach Safety page on Facebook.
Double Red Flag: Water is closed to public due to dangerous water conditions
Red Flag: High hazard due to surf and/or strong currents
Yellow Flag: Medium surf and/or current hazard
Green Flag: Low hazard and calm conditions, remain vigilant
Purple Flag: Marine pests present, such as jellyfish, stingrays or dangerous fish
Rip currents, powerful currents of water moving away from shore, are also something you should heed while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico. These currents can sweep even the strongest swimmer out to sea.
How to Survive a Rip Current:
- Don’t fight the current. It’s a natural treadmill that travels an average speed of 1-2 feet per second, but has been measured as fast as 8 feet per second‚ÄĒfaster than an Olympic swimmer.
- Relax and float to conserve energy. Staying calm may save your life.
- Do NOT try to swim directly into to shore. Swim parallel to the shoreline until you escape the current’s pull. When free from the pull of the current, swim at an angle away from the current toward shore.
- If you feel you can’t reach shore, relax, face the shore, and call or wave for help. Remember: Wave and yell…swim parallel
We hope you have a wonderful beach vacation planned for this summer. If you need help with lodging, check out our lodging partner, Southern Vacation Rentals, for help finding the perfect place to vacation in Destin, FL.
Tagged Beach safety, Destin, Destin FL, Destin Florida, Vacation in Destin
Comments Off on Beach Safety in Destin