Best Rainy Day Activities in Destin
As beautiful as Destin is, not every day is bright and sunny. Take this week, for example, where gray clouds are filling the skies and blocking the sun. This is not ideal beach weather (although we know some will flock to the beach anyway), which begs the question: what are the best rainy day activities in Destin? The good news is that there are plenty of fun things to do in Destin when it rains. Check out our list below for some of the best rainy day activities in Destin! Let us know how you’ll be spending these next few rainy days on our Facebook page.
- Don’t let the rain deter your plans to shop! Silver Sands Premium Outlets’ covered walkways will keep you shielded from the rain as you go from J.Crew to Saks off Fifth to Nike.
- One of our favorite ways to get out of the house but away from the rain is at the movies – head to the AMC Theater atÂ Destin CommonsÂ orÂ Grand Boulevard’s Boulevard Cinema 10.
- Also at Destin Commons isÂ Uncle Buck’s Fish Bowl,Â where you can bowl while enjoying a delicious lunch or dinner. This is a great event that’s fun for the whole family!
- Meanwhile, over in Fort Walton Beach, theÂ Gulfarium on Okaloosa Island provides endless family fun! Embark on a dolphin or any other kind of animal encounter – this includes stingrays, alligators, penguins, and more!
If you aren’t in Destin and you’ve got vacation planning on the brain, don’t let a little rain in the forecast deter you from visiting. After all, it doesn’t rain for long at the beach! Our lodging partners Southern Vacation Rentals have some great vacation rentals in Destin, Florida that are perfect for your fall vacation. Start planning your trip to the beach today!
Tagged Best Rainy Day Activities in Destin, What to do When it Rains in Destin
Comments Off on Best Rainy Day Activities in Destin
Plan Your Holiday Party in Destin
The holidays are fast approaching, and if you’ve been thinking about planning a holiday party in Destin, now is the time to spring into action! This is the time of year when people are planning their holiday parties, so if there is a vendor or venue you’ve had your eye on, the moment is here. Planning any type of holiday party can be daunting though, so we’ve compiled some tips to help you out. Plus, our pick for the best event venue in Destin as well as accommodations to host your whole gang!
- If the holiday party is just your family, then you’ll have a good understanding of how large the group will be and who can make it. For a corporate event, you will want to ask your attendees to sign up by a certain date to ensure your venue is large enough, and any catering company you use provides enough food.
- Set a date! Planning your party two to three months out gives attendees enough time to arrange for childcare, travel, and other factors. Don’t plan too close to the holidays – that’s considered “crunch time” and you will likely not get the date you want.
- Determine a theme! Everyone loves a themed holiday party and now is the chance to let everyone’s creativity shine. Whether it’s a cocktail hour or an “ugly sweater” theme, your guests will love the chance to look festive at your holiday party in Destin.
- Finding a place to host your party is no easy feat, but fortunately, some of the best event venues in Destin are geared up to host your holiday party. We love our friends over at the Destin Bay House! They have the indoor and outdoor event space to bring your dream to life, with a stunning location right on Choctawhatchee Bay. It truly doesn’t get much better than this!
- If you have out of town guests coming to your holiday party in Destin, you’ll want to host them somewhere. If you’re hosting your holiday party at the Destin Bay House, then the nearby Cottages by the Bay are an ideal spot for everyone to stay! They are just across the street from the Bay House so you can walk to and from your soiree. Plus, the beautiful old Florida-style interiors invoke a quiet sense of luxury that will have you feeling right at home!
Tagged Holiday Celebration, Holiday Party in Destin, How to Plan Your Holiday Party in Destin, October 2019
Comments Off on Plan Your Holiday Party in Destin
Fun Fall Break Activities in Destin
Are you visiting Destin for fall break this year? You’re in luck, as October is undoubtedly the best time of year to visit Destin! Check out some of the fun fall break activities in Destin that are going on this year. Don’t forget to also book your beach vacation rental in Destin with our lodging partners, Southern Vacation Rentals, for great low rates!
- Baytowne Wharf Beer Festival – Happening this weekend on the 11th and 12th, the Baytowne Wharf Beer Festival is touted as the “#1 Beer Festival on the Gulf Coast!” Friday’s “Beer From Around Here” event features local breweries and is only open to 200 people. Saturday’s VIP event is sold out, but you can still get tickets to the Craft Beer Tasting from 2-6 PM. Sample beer from over 50 breweries and over 200 domestic and international craft beers while jamming out to live music!
- Destin Fishing Rodeo – Destin’s most popular October event is in full swing! Come on out to AJ’s Seafood & Oyster Bar from 10 AM – 7 PM for daily weigh-ins and to share in the excitement. There is also “Shark Saturdays” each Saturday during the Destin Fishing Rodeo, and you can only imagine the size of some of these sharks!
- Mattie Kelly Festival of the Arts – Art, music, food, and fun! This is one of the region’s premier art festivals, held October 26th and 27th and showcasing exhibits from nearly 200 artists. Come on down to the Cultural Arts Village during the last weekend in October for an unforgettable event!
- Bubbly Baytowne – Sip, savor, and shop at Bubbly Baytowne, a fun and free event happening next Thursday, October 17th at the Village of Baytowne Wharf. You’ll enjoy a selection of premium champagnes as you shop through the streets of Baytowne Wharf. This event only lasts from 5-7 PM, so you’ll have plenty of time to get to dinner after enjoying some delicious champagne.
Tagged Baytowne Wharf Beer Festival, Bubbly Baytowne, Destin Fishing Rodeo, Fall Break Events in Destin, Mattie Kelly Festival of the Arts, October 2019, Southern Vacation Rentals
Comments Off on Fun Fall Break Activities in Destin
Our favorite weekend of the year is almost here! The stage is set for the 41st annual Destin Seafood Festival, slated for this weekend, October 4-6, along Destinâ€™s harbor boardwalk.
- More than 100 craft and food vendors
- Six stages featuring more than 35 musical acts
- Music will go from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday and then 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday.
- Kid zone with a petting zoo and pony rides (near East Pass Marina, just west of the Boathouse)
- Parking in city lots are pay-to-park â€” one at Marler Street and another at the Destin Community Center. The Heron Harbor lot donates parking money back to the festival. As for the parking lot across from AJâ€™s, the proceeds go to the Destin History and Fishing Museum.
- Catch the shuttle this year! Emerald Coast Rider and the Okaloosa County transit system will be transporting folks for a $3 fee to and from the festival. On the west side, they will be picking up at the Emerald Coast Conference Center and on the east side at Bealls and Target.
- Shuttle buses will run from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Friday; 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturday; and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday.
If you would like to join in on the phone, there’s vacation rental availability with our lodging partner, Southern Vacation Rentals. It will be a perfect, fun-filled weekend to vacation in Destin, FL!
Tagged Activities in Destin FL, Activities on the Destin Harbor, Destin, Destin events, Destin FL, Destin Florida, Destin seafood, Destin Seafood Festival, Events in Destin
Comments Off on Destin Seafood Festival is This Weekend
The Destin Fishing Rodeo Starts Today!
Photo courtesy of Florida’s Emerald Coast
Happy October 1st, everyone! We love October for many reasons, but our favorite reason of all – the Destin Fishing Rodeo starts today! People from all across the country are coming to Destin to participate in the rodeo. When you drive into Destin from Fort Walton Beach, you have likely seen the sign welcoming you into Destin. You’ll also have noticed that the sign says “The World’s Luckiest Fishing Village” and “Home of the Destin Fishing Rodeo.” This is what brings visitors to Destin in October! The Destin Fishing Rodeo is a great part of Destin’s history and invites anglers of all ages to participate.
Fishing is not the only part of the rodeo – weigh-ins are free and open each day to the public! Come on down to AJ’s from 10 AM until 7 PM to see what kinds of fish people are catching in Destin’s waters. There are also Rodeo events, including the Destin Seafood Festival during the first weekend in October and the 2019 Destin 5K Rodeo Run on October 6th. This run starts at Clement Taylor Park and takes you through historic Destin neighborhoods. Proceeds benefit the Miss Destin Scholarship fund; register here!
Breakers East in Destin
Did you know that the Destin Fishing Rodeo began in MayÂ 1948? It was originally pitched as a way to bring more visitors to Destin, and boy did it work! This is what launched Destin as a summer vacation destination. Not too long afterward, the founders of the Destin Fishing Rodeo decided to extend the Rodeo through October in order to lengthen the tourist season just one more month. October is a great time of year to visit Destin as it is; the Fishing Rodeo is just an added bonus!
Are you fishing for a vacation rental during the month of October? Our lodging partners Southern Vacation Rentals have a sea of vacation rentals in Destin for the month of October that we think you’ll love. Come stay for the Destin Fishing Rodeo, or just to get away! Check out condo rentals at Breakers East in Destin. A great beachfront location plus close proximity to the Destin Harbor where the Fishing Rodeo takes place; what more could you ask for?
Tagged 2019 Destin Fishing Rodeo, Destin Fishing Rodeo, October 2019, Things to do in Destin
Comments Off on The Destin Fishing Rodeo Starts Today!
Where to Stay for Fall Break in Destin
Now that fall is officially here, everyone has fall break on the brain. Fall break is one of our favorite times of year in Destin – there’s so much to do that you’ll have a hard time fitting it all into your schedule. Have you thought about where you want to stay for fall break? Our lodging partners, Southern Vacation Rentals, have the inventory to accommodate your group for your fall break plans. However, vacation rentals in Destin are quickly filling up, so you don’t want to wait too late to book! Check out where to stay for fall break in Destin below. We’ve picked some of our favorite vacation rentals in Destin from Southern, from homes to vacation condos in the heart of Destin.
Beach Blessings in Destin, Florida
Sleeps 12 Guests | 4 Bedrooms | 3 Bathrooms
If you’re bringing along a group of friends or extended family for fall break, you’ll want to stay at Beach Blessings. You’ll find this home in the Avalon Beach Estates neighborhood in Miramar Beach, offering private beach access, a community pool, and one of the most desirable locations in Destin. This immaculate home features lots of upscale touches, including a well-landscaped exterior, upgraded appliances in the kitchen, and a spa-like master bathroom.
Sleeps 6 Guests | 1 Bedroom | 1 Bathroom
If your group is a little smaller for fall break, then you’ll love Summer Breeze 312. You’ll find this charming condo in Destin just a tone’s throw away from the beach, with a beautiful view of the Gulf from your balcony. Everything you need for a relaxing beach vacation is right at Summer Breeze 312, including a fully equipped kitchen, community pool, hot tub, and barbecue grills. Not to mention, all you need to do is cross the street to get to the beach! When it comes to where to stay for fall break in Destin, Summer Breeze 312 is an easy choice.
If you’re looking for a little excitement on vacation, Seascape Golf Villas 5B is the place to do it! This popular vacation rental in Seascape Golf Villas is centrally located on a championship golf course, conveniently located near Destin’s most popular restaurants and shopping malls. You’re only minutes away from the beach! In addition, access to a wide range of amenities including a pool, hot tub, and tennis courts. You’ll also want to schedule in some time to tee up and hit the links!
Tagged Beach Blessings in Destin, Destin Vacation Rentals, Seascape Golf Villas in Destin, Summer Breeze in Destin, Where to Stay for Fall Break in Destin
Comments Off on Where to Stay for Fall Break in Destin
There’s much excitement in the sea turtle world along the Emerald Coast this week. The Emerald Coast Turtle Watch reports the first green sea turtle nest hatched in over 25 years in Destin. “To our delight tonight amid the ants, sea oats and roots, we found four baby green sea turtles alive and well”, according to a Turtle Watch Facebook post.
Hatchings are expected to continue through October along the beaches in Destin, FL. We are fortunate to have volunteer organizations such as the South Walton Turtle Watch and the Emerald Coast Turtle Watch to monitor known nesting sites and report updates.Â Both groups post updates & photos on their Facebook pages.
The watch groups want to emphasize the proper procedures for any visitors who might happen upon nests or hatchlings:
–Â Always use a red light emitting flashlight on the beach
–Â Keep lights that can be seen from beach turned off
–Â Fill in your holes and smooth out your sandcastles for the night
–Â Take your â€śstuffâ€ť off the beach when you leave
–Â Put your trash in the trash bins provided
–Â Report any seen sea turtle activity to the Walton or Okaloosa County Sheriffâ€™s Dept.
Tagged Activities in Destin FL, Destin, Destin FL, Destin Florida, Sea Turtles
Comments Off on Green Sea Turtles Hatch in Destin – First Time in Over 25 Years
Try Out the Best Sushi Restaurants in Destin
Destin is full of great places to get sushi, but we know that narrowing them down can be hard! Ask your group of friends where they want to go get sushi for lunch, and two no answers will be the same. But the good news is that because there are so many delicious sushi restaurants in Destin, you’ll always have somewhere new to try! Read on below for our favorite picks, and let us know where you like to go get sushi in Destin on our Facebook page.
Black Dragon & New York Rolls from Sushimoto
- Shan Kishi – You’ll find Shan Kishi in Miramar Beach’s Seascape Towne Center with an extensive menu that you’ll want to order everything from. Go at lunchtime for the all-you-can-eat sushi deal at just $25.
- Sushimoto – This small family-owned restaurant is a hidden gem, but one you should visit immediately. You can’t go wrong with anything on the menu; our favorites include the Tuna Tataki, Moto Rolla, and anything off of their daily specials menu. This is truly one of the best sushi restaurants in Destin!
- Camille’s at Crystal Beach – Sushi with a view! You can only order sushi from 5-10 PM at Camille’s restaurant, but it’s worth the wait. Hand-made and prepared to order, you’ll have a hard time deciding where to begin. All their seafood comes from Harbor Docks Wholesale Seafood Market with locall-sourced produce. Try out the Dharma for a unique roll: conch, shrimp krab stick, flying fish roe cucumber, and spicy sauce.
- Harbor Docks – That’s right, you can get sushi at local favorite Harbor Docks! Served Monday-Wednesday from 4-10 PM and Thursday-Sunday from 11 AM – 10 PM, this extensive menu will keep you occupied all day long. Grab an order of Nigiri, then treat yourself to a Black Dragon roll and a TNT roll.
Tagged Best Sushi in Destin, Camille's at Crystal Beach, Destin Sushi, Harbor Docks, Shan Kishi, Sushi Restaurants in Destin, Sushimoto
Comments Off on Best Sushi Restaurants in Destin
Fall Break Plans in Destin
Monday marks the first day of fall, and with that, fall break! School systems across the country will be flocking to Destin for fall break, and we can’t wait to welcome you here. There are so many fun things to do here for fall break! Check out some of our favorite things to do for your fall break plans in Destin, and some vacation rentals too. Our lodging partners Southern Vacation Rentals still have some availability for fall break, but you don’t want to wait to book! Your favorite vacation rental in Destin, Florida is just a few clicks away.
- Destin Seafood Festival – If you’re here during the first weekend of October, you have to take some time for the Destin Seafood Festival. In its 41st annual year, the Destin Seafood Festival is one of the area’s most popular events. Come on down for some delicious seafood, live music, art, and family fun.
- Destin Fishing Rodeo – It’s that time of year! The Destin Fishing Rodeo is underway the entire month of October, so there’s lots of time to participate and get involved. Weigh-ins take place each day at AJ’s Seafood & Oyster Bar from 10 AM – 7 PM They’re also free and are open to the public!
- Baytowne Wharf Beer Festival – Calling all beer lovers! You won’t want to miss out on the Baytowne Wharf Beer Festival. It takes place October 11th and 12th at Batowne Wharf and features over 200 domestic and international craft beers for sampling. There will also be brewery representatives to help you learn about different types of lagers and ales. Don’t miss out on this event!
Tagged Baytowne Wharf Beer Festival, Destin Fall Break, Destin Fishing Rodeo, Destin Seafood Fetival, Fall Break Events in Destin, Things to do in Destin
Comments Off on Fall Break Plans in Destin
Fall Break at Maravilla in Destin
Are you making your fall break plans to visit Destin? With school districts getting away for fall break throughout October and November, there’ still time to plan – just don’t wait! This year, we’re excited to plan our fall break at Maravilla in Destin. These vacation rentals in Destin, FloridaÂ are some of the most popular ones in the area, and availability will fill up fast. Learn more about how to plan your fall break at Maravilla in Destin, and be sure to book with our lodging partners Southern Vacation Rentals for the best rates on Maravilla vacation condos.
Known as “The Village by the Sea,” Maravilla enjoys a delightful location on Scenic 98 in Miramar Beach. The building itself is set back from the highway on the private Maravilla Drive, offering guests a secluded vacation experience. Guests at Maravilla enjoy private beach access on two and a half acres of white quartz sand. Don’t let October fool you; Destin’s waters are still plenty warm, even in October! Each vacation condo at MaravillaÂ was designed to please, with condos ranging from one to three bedrooms, the comforts of home, and exciting community amenities. This includes barbecue grills, a fitness facility, pool, and tennis courts. What else could you ask for?
Meanwhile, with its location in the heart of Miramar Beach, Maravilla is just minutes from many exciting attractions in Destin. Silver Sands Premium Outlets are just a short drive away, where you can spend the day shopping at the nation’s largest designer outlet mall. Or, golf to your heart’s content at Regatta Bay Golf Club,Â the top-ranked golf course in Destin. Cruise down Scenic 98 for some delicious restaurants including The Crab Trap, Camille’s, and 790 on the Gulf. With so many fun things to do in Destin, you won’t be without something to do on your fall break at Maravilla in Destin.
Tagged Destin Vacation Condos, Fall Break at Maravilla in Destin, Maravilla in Destin, Maravilla Vacation Condos
Comments Off on Fall Break at Maravilla in Destin