Celebrating Veterans Day & Our U.S. Military
November 11 is Veterans Day – our day to celebrate the service of all U.S. military veterans. Our part of Florida is not only a beautiful vacation destination, we are proudly home to thousands of U.S. service members.
In celebration of this honor, the Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport has a special giveaway underway to send one of our active duty, reservist or National Guard military member who reside in the 850 area code home for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. Saturday is the deadline so, if you qualify and live in the 8-5-0, register now at this link: Operationflyvps.com
This part of Florida is home to the following military bases:
- Naval Air Station Pensacola¬†(home of the Navy’s Blue Angels¬†demonstration team and the initial training site for all naval aviators)
- Hurlburt Field (home of Air Force Special Operations Command)
- Eglin Air Force Base¬†(one of the largest military bases in America)
- Tyndall Air Force Base¬†(home to the Air Force’s F-22 Raptor¬†fighter jets)
- Coastal Systems Station-Naval Surface Warfare Center (home to the Navy Experimental Diving Unit¬†and Naval Diving & Salvage Training Center)
- Corry Station Naval Technical Training Center
- U.S. Coast Guard Station – Destin
Fun Movie Facts: The military presence in the region has led to many film appearances, the earliest being the practice takeoff runs by Doolittle Raiders¬†for Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, shot at Peel Field, an auxiliary field at Eglin Field, in 1944. Some scenes in the 1949 film Twelve O’Clock High, another film about World War II, were also shot at Eglin.
Happy Veterans Day!