Destin Gumbo Festivals
Sandestin Gumbo Festival
This winter favorite is back Â – itâ€™s the 28th year for the Sandestin Gumbo Festival, Feb 17 & 18. Â You will get the chance to sample a variety of gumbo and vote your favorite as the â€śPeopleâ€™s Choiceâ€ť winner. Dark or light roux? Chicken, sausage or seafood?
Celebrity judges will name the â€śAreaâ€™s Best,â€ť and award the most creative set-up as â€śBest Display.â€ť Gulf Coasts restaurants will be featured along with live music and childrenâ€™s activities.
- Tickets to Saturdayâ€™s main event are available now for $25 or $30 the day of the event.
- Kick-off the weekend, Friday, Feb. 17 with a delicious seafood boil from 5-7 p.m. at Hammerheadâ€™s Bar and Grill.
- On Saturday, Feb. 18, from 12-4 p.m. guests will enjoyÂ live music from Dikki Du and the Zydeco Krewe, family activities & the best gumbo cook-off on the Gulf Coast.
Destin Museum Gumbo Contest
We love community museums and are especially proud of the happenings at the Destin History and Fishing Museum. Â One of our favorite fundraisers for the museum is their annual gumbo contest, held this past weekend. Some of our favorite restaurants in Destin walked away with big trophies.
- 1st place: Crab Island Cantina
- 2nd place: Dewey Destin’s Harborside Restaurant (People’s Choice winner)
- 3rd place: Harry T’s
- 1st place: Dot Jones
- 2nd place: Ken Harrison
- 3rd place: Kelly Anderson (People’s Choice winner)
Would you like to cook up your own pot of Cajun goodness? We’ve found a great website, www.gumbocooking.com, which features a variety of recipes – everything from the traditional New Orleans gumbo to a “wild game” version.
Youâ€™ve still got plenty of time to make plans to attend the Sandestin Gumbo Festival. Connect with our lodging partners to find Mardi Gras and spring specials on vacation rentals in Destin, Fl.