Destin to Celebrate Sunshine & Cinco de Mayo with a Helping Hand
After a week of rough weather across the southeast, the weatherman says the sun will be shining this weekend for Destin and the Florida panhandle. ¬†As the storms clear, folks are asking “How can I help?” on social media. ¬†We at iLoveDestin.com would like to offer a few ways you can help and we would also like to send our heartfelt thanks out to all first responders.
- You can¬†make a donation to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief by visiting¬†www.redcross.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS or texting the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation. These donations enable the Red Cross to prepare for, respond to and help people recover from disasters both big and small.
- Organizers of a special event already planned for this weekend – the Running of the Bulls – will use some proceeds to benefit those affected by the storms.¬†The run will take place on Sunday afternoon as part of the Cinco de Mayo celebration at HarborWalk Village. ¬†You don’t need to travel to Pamplona – you can celebrate with Destin’s very unique version of running with the bulls…roller derby-style!
- The “bulls” are a spirited group of women who regularly participate in area roller derby events. ¬† They are from the¬†River Region Roller Girls and Sk8r Dolls roller derby teams and will be wearing creative red costumes and bull horns.
- Runners are encouraged to wear a white shirt, white pants or shorts and wear a red bandana or piece of red cloth around the waste and neck. ¬†An alarm will sound to alert the runners that the corral gate is open. ¬†A second alarm will signal that all “Roller Derby Bulls” have been released. ¬†What follows is a fun & unique way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo!
- The course will start at Coyote Ugly Destin, go down the East Destin Charter fleet hill through HarborWalk village, up the west hill by Crab Island Cantina, then in front of Emerald Grande, and returning to Coyote Ugly.¬† Registration starts at noon with the “bulls” being released at 2 p.m. ¬†A $10 donation will get you a t-shirt, drink ticket, and a fiesta.
- If you are not up for running, it will be fun to be a spectator. ¬†Where else might you see runners trotting along wearing sombreros & ponchos and carrying a drink in hand? ¬†
- The Cinco de Mayo events will kick-off this Saturday, May 3 with Latin music and a pub crawl around the many restaurants in HarborWalk Village.¬†
- Running with Bulls not on your bucket list? ¬†How about participating in the Macho Nacho eating contest? ¬†Or do you look anything like the man on the Dos Equis commercials? ¬†You can sign up to participate in the “Most Interesting Man Alive” Contest. ¬†Both of those events will be held on Sunday afternoon along with several entertainment acts including dancers and latin musicians. ¬†It’s sure to be a great weekend of fun!
- If you need help with accommodations and dining, you can view¬†lodging in Destin¬†options¬†from iLoveDestin.com or¬†restaurants in Destin¬†suggestions from iLoveDestin.com. ¬†Also, we would love for you to “like” us on¬†Facebook at iLoveDestin for frequent updates and travel tips.
Enjoy & Happy Cinco de Mayo!