Fun in the Sun
All Sunscreens are Not Created Equal
We all know how to avoid turning into a lobster at the beach, but it still happens every summer – that painful burn. ¬†Making matters worse, a recent controversial study tested sunscreens and found that four out of five do not adequately protect the skin.
A good source for reliable sunscreen tests is Consumer Reports. ¬†According to non-profit product testing company, ‚ÄúIn tests of water-resistant sunscreen lotions and sprays, we found many that provided very good or excellent protection against UVB radiation (which causes sunburn) after immersion in water, along with excellent protection against UVA radiation (which penetrates deeper than UVB rays, tanning and aging skin).‚ÄĚ ¬†All those listed are in the $8 – $10 price range.
Lotions (rating): ¬†
- Coppertone Water Babies SPF 50 (81)¬†
- Equate/Walmart Ultra Protection SPF 50 (80)¬†
- No-Ad Sport SPF 50 (69)
- Coppertone Sensitive Skin SPF 50 (68)
- Well at Walgreens Baby SPF 50 (63)
- Bull Frog WaterArmor Sport SPF 50 (95)
- up & up Target Sport SPF 50 (90)
- Well at Walgreens Sport SPF 50 (87)
- Banana Boat Ultra Defense Max SPF 110 (99)
- Neutrogena Ultimate Sport SPF 70+ (93)
There is an excellent video by Consumer Reports that discusses some of the facts and myths associated with skin protection. Check it out here.¬†
So are you ready for a little protected fun in the sun? There is still terrific availability for Destin, FL beach rentals from our lodging partners, with many offering special discounts.