Nina and Pinta Replicas at Baytowne Marina
They’ve arrived! The Nina and the Pinta,Â replicas of Columbusâ ships,Â are in port at Baytowne Marina til March 4.
The NinaÂ was built completely by hand and without the use of power tools. Archaeology magazine called the ship âthe most historically correct Columbus replica ever built.â In 2005, the Pinta, also a caravel, was launched in Brazil and was the first ship to sight land in the New World. Historians consider the caravel the space shuttle of the fifteenth century.
Both ships tour together as a new and enhanced âsailing museumâ for the purpose of educating the public and school children on the âcaravelâ, a Portuguese ship used by Columbus and many early explorers to discover the world. Before him, the Old World and the New remained separate and distinct continents and ever since their fates have been bound together for better or for worse.
While in port, the general public is invited to visit the ships for a walk-aboard, self-guided tour.
- Admission charges are $8.50 for adults, $7.50 for seniors, and $6.50 for students 5-16. Children 4 and under are free.
- The ships are open every day from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. No reservations necessary.
- Teachers or organizations wishing to schedule a 30-minute guided tour with a crew member should call 1-787-672-2152 or email [email protected] Minimum of 15. $5.00 per person. No maximum.
- For more information, visit www.ninapinta.org.
- If you are traveling to the area for spring break, check on the many activities in Destin, FL now so you make reservations for your week of fun.