A favorite family tradition, whether traveling or at home, is pizza night. ¬†In Destin, we love pizza night because that means gathering with cousins at one of our favorite pizza places, Mellow Mushroom.
- Mellow Mushroom is aptly described as a “creative wonderland where kids and families can eat in a unique environment.” Each franchise location has unique and colorful art work decorating the walls and ceilings.
- Our crew loves sitting at the large picnic tables. ¬†Our first order of business is to ask for “drunken fun guys.” These are not on the menu so I’m not even sure that’s the official name. The best way to describe our appetizer treat is that they are small balls of Mellow dough, baked and browned like a soft pretzel. ¬†You then dip the ¬†‘fun guys” into a beer cheese sauce. Trust me‚Ä¶it’s a yummy way to start off the evening!
- Next up, our pizza order. The pizza guys toss the dough the old-fashioned way and¬†the pizza topping combinations are unique. ¬†We like to order a normal one (mighty meaty) then something a little adventuresome. On our last visit, our adventure choice was Maui Wowie – pesto base, pineapple, jerk chicken, banana peppers, applewood smoked bacon, and mozzarella cheese. ¬†Delicious and a big hit at the table!
- The Mellow Mushroom in Destin is located at 960 Hwy 98 East. ¬†My compliments also to the servers at this location. ¬† They have always been sweet and attentive which is great when you have a table full of young cousins!
- It’s worth it to check out Mellow Mushroom’s very well designed website, www.MellowMushroom.com. ¬†If you join their e-club, you receive gifts for joining, on your birthday, and email deals from your local restaurant.