Sushi & Sashimi in Destin
If the U.S. has become a sushi-loving nation, Destin is a shining star for our state for the preparation of this delicacy. Sushi and sashimi are menu staples at several local restaurants in Destin, Fl including one of our favorites, Jackacudas Seafood & Sushi located in Harbor Walk Village.Â Decisions, decisions. What would you choose from their current Chirashi menu?
Hereâ€™s the scoop on sushi lexicon from Food & Wine magazine:
- Nori seaweed – harvested primarily off the coast of Japan; dried, roasted and pressed into sheets.
- Awase-zu – the seasoning added to cooked short-grain sushi rice is made from rice vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Sashimi – sliced raw fish without rice; sashimi should be eaten with chopsticks rather than fingers.
- Nigiri sushi – a bite-size mound of vinegared rice with a similar-size piece of fish, shellfish or other topping.
- Maki sushi – rolled sushi; basically, a sheet of nori wrapped around rice and raw fish (or other fillings).
- Temaki sushi – known as a hand roll; the nori wrapper is rolled around various fillings into a cone shape.
- Chirashi sushi – literally, “scattered sushi”; raw fish and vegetables served over rice, most often in a bowl.
- Omakase – the root word means “to trust”â€”the chef serves you whatever he or she likes. No menus.
Jackacudas also has a diverse menu filled with satisfying dishes such as chicken & waffles and maple and fennel-brined pork with fig jam.
You can also bring in your own catch of the day! Hereâ€™s a review posted to Jackacudas facebook page: â€śBrought in our king mackerel and mingo, told the chef to use his creative liberty. The result was one of the best meals I’ve had in my life. Will be back. There is no better place in Destin…probably the whole state of Florida.â€ť
Make your reservations now for Spring Break!