Top Tips for Your Destin Vacation
As you probably already know, this is a very popular time to go on vacation to Destin, Florida. It’s a driveable beach vacation for many people who are ready to escape quarantine. Crowded beaches also mean crowded grocery stores and crowded restaurants. If you don’t want to spend all your time waiting in line, here are some tips to help you get your vacation off to a great start:
- Pack a vacation prep kit. Â If you have ever been to Destin grocery stores on a summer weekend, you know those stores are jam-packed. Our advice is to pack a vacation prep kit. Leading up to your vacation, set aside a large beach tote or basket and start filling with basic necessities. Some examples of things to bring from home: laundry soap, toilet paper, garbage bags, bath soap, napkins, paper plates, salt & pepper, cooking spices, reusable storage containers, chip clips, coffee, tea, sugar, & coffee filters. Some of these items are provided by rental companies, but if you are staying for one week and/or traveling with a larger group, extras are always needed.
- Keep a master list so you donâ€™t forget anything from home. Thankfully, there are now apps that can help you with packing list reminders. You can also go old-school and create a reusable list which reminds you to pack the sunglasses, beach towels, sunscreen, chargers, etc. Pack a sharpie and sticky notes for leaving notes during the week.
- Plan breakfast & lunch for the first few days. Freeze lunch meat, cheese, and milk, then, throw all in a cooler just before you leave home. Add some boxes of cereal, bread, and snacks and you can get through the first few days without facing the long grocery store lines.
- Order your groceries. Itâ€™s well worth it to subscribe to Shipt, an app-based service grocery delivery service. Through the Shipt app, members create grocery lists, choose a delivery window, and pay for the order via credit card. A Shipt delivery person then picks up the order at your selected grocery store and delivers the groceries to the address submitted. If you are a subscriber in your hometown, you can switch your location to your vacation address. For a detailed map of the coverage area visit shipt.com/gulf-coast. Shipt can also deliver from the ABC Fine Wines & Spirit store in Florida. Be flexible on your delivery times. Shoppers are especially busy during these times.
- Use local concierge services. Two local companies, Be My Shopper and Beach Butlers, offer an even more personalized service. Shoppers will shop your grocery list and deliver to your rental unit, even putting away the groceries. It’s all there waiting for you on your arrival!
- Make dinner reservations. Schedule dinner either early or late.Â If you can avoid the 6:00-8:00 p.m. main dinner hour, this can help shorten your restaurant wait times. Several Destin restaurants are now accepting reservations through the OpenTable app.