Travel Tips for Your Next Destin Vacation
Thereâ€™s nothing better than arriving at your Destin vacation destination, and enjoying that first evening sunset.
To get to that point, we all know some preparation is required so that your vacation gets off to a great start. Â Let’s get that vacation started right!Â
Here are 5 of our top Destin travel tips:
- Pack a vacation prep kit. Â If you have ever been to the Destin Walmart on a summer weekend, you know the lines can be very long,Â especially on Saturdays andÂ Sundays. Â To avoid those long lines, take everything you will need, at least for the first few days, in your vacation prep kit. I keep a beach tote in my pantry filled with the basic necessities.Â Some examples of things to bring from home: laundry soap, toilet paper, garbage bags, kleenex, bath soap, napkins, paper plates, disposable salt & pepper, cooking spices, re-usable plastic storage containers, chip clips, coffee, tea, sugar, & coffee filters. Â Some of these items are provided by rental companies, but if you are staying for a week and/or traveling with a larger group, extras are always needed. Â
- Keep a master list so you donâ€™t forget anything from home. Â Thankfully, there are now apps that can help you with packing list reminders. You can also go old-school and create a re-usable list which reminds you to pack the sunglasses, sunscreen, etc. Â I also always pack a sharpie and sticky notes – perfect for leaving notes during the week.
- Bring breakfast & lunch for the first few days. Freeze lunchmeat, cheese, and milk, then throw in a cooler just before you leave home. If your journey is more than 8 hours, I would recommend grabbing these items at a grocery store before you get into town. Â Add some boxes of cereal, bread, and snacks and you can get through the first few days without facing the long lines.
- Schedule dinner early or late. If you can avoid the 6:00-8:00 p.m. main dinner hour, this can help shorten your restaurant wait times.
- Seek out restaurants that truly serve fresh Gulf seafood. Destin is the Worldâ€™sÂ Luckiest Fishing Village with beautiful catches coming in daily to our docks. A list of restaurants in Destin that serve fresh seafood is now available from one of our iLoveDestin partners, Harbor Docks, on their website. Â
Hope this information helps you get your Destin vacation off to a great start!
Enjoy & Happy Summer!